This salad is so much tastier than it sounds. I skip the onion, buy sliced up sweet potatoes, and throw in whatever I have on hand that is close to the ingredients. It’s a forgiving recipe; I once used strawberry yogurt and it was delicious.
A Martha Stewart Recipe
Caramelized sweet potatoes and red onion pair well with green beans and walnuts. Heads of lettuce cost less than bagged pre-prepped varieties — they have better flavor, too.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium red onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed through a garlic press
- 1 head (10 ounces) red-leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
1. STEP 1
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss together sweet potatoes, onion, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.